Faris Rashid represents clients in technology, intellectual-property, and product liability disputes.
Faris tries cases, argues high-stakes motions, and deftly cross-examines witnesses ranging from executives to entomologists. A Fortune 100 client said that Faris’s “briefs sing, and he has won the praise of many state and federal judges for his composure and agility as an oral advocate.” Faris has a particular knack for understanding cutting-edge products, technologies, and business arrangements and then explaining the issues in a way that earns the court’s trust.
Faris also settles business disputes before they reach a lawsuit, provides concrete advice for navigating new areas of law, and conducts probability-based risk assessments. Clients hire Faris to look around corners and spot strategy challenges at the earliest possible moment. As one client said, Faris “stands out among his peers for his ability to assess the business risks inherent in a case.”
Outside of his litigation work, Faris has proven himself as a thought-leader on technology and business-litigation topics. He is consistently invited to speak at premier seminars including the Minnesota Technology Law Institute, the Minnesota Business Law Institute, and the Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, and he has presented on the impact of new data-privacy regulations in the EU.
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Wisconsin, Madison, with high distinction
- Faegre Baker Daniels, Associate
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, The Honorable Ann D. Montgomery, Law Clerk
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- State Bar of Minnesota
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Federal Bar Association
Faris's Practice Areas
Commercial LitigationExplore Practice Area
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Employment LitigationExplore Practice Area
Businesses, public institutions, and individuals seek out Greene Espel for representation in a wide range of employment-litigation matters.
Copyright LitigationExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel is frequently called upon to protect copyright interests as well as defend against claims of copyright infringement.
Products LiabilityExplore Practice Area
Defending products liability claims has been a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice since our founding in 1993. Manufacturers and other businesses turn to us when they face product defect allegations brought by individuals, by large groups of plaintiffs, or as putative class actions.
Antitrust and CompetitionExplore Practice Area
Greene Espel can help you navigate antitrust and competition investigations, government enforcement actions, white collar criminal investigations and litigation, trial and appellate litigation, and compliance counseling.
Class ActionsExplore Practice Area
Clients regularly turn to Greene Espel when faced with high-stakes, class-action litigation. Greene Espel attorneys have defended dozens of putative class actions in federal and state courts all across the country.
Non-Compete Disputes and LitigationExplore Practice Area
Employees come and go. When their departures implicate legal obligations, Greene Espel can help. Greene Espel mobilizes immediately when clients must seek, or defend against, expedited injunction motions that may arise when employees move from one job to another.
Trade Secret LitigationExplore Practice Area
From burgeoning high-tech companies to established international manufacturers, healthcare giants, and established financial services and insurance institutions, clients regularly turn to Greene Espel to represent them in disputes involving trade secrets.
Patent LitigationExplore Practice Area
From lead medical-device companies to major high-tech manufacturers, clients turn to Greene Espel to represent them in significant disputes involving patents and other intellectual property rights.
Trademark LitigationExplore Practice Area
From premier brand-owners to niche device manufacturers, clients seek Greene Espel’s counsel in complex disputes involving trademarks.
Faris's Recognition & Awards
- 2023 40 Under 40 Honoree, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal
- 2021 Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021-2024)
- Selected to Minnesota Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2019-2023)
- Recognized as Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer (2019)
- Recognized as Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro bono service (2015; 2017)
- University of Wisconsin Law School—Davis Award for Excellence in the Study of Constitutional Law
Faris's Community Involvement
- Appointed by Gov. Tim Walz in 2020 to the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board (2020-present), Chair (2022)
- St. Paul Union Park District Council, At-Large Director (2017-2019)
- Minnesota Opera, Tempo Young Professionals Group, Director and Treasurer (2014-2016)
- Lexington-Hamline Community Council, Director and Vice President (2013-2016)
- Americorps, Member, 2006-2007
Faris also gives back to the community through pro bono legal work. He is currently working with The Advocates for Human Rights to represent an immigrant seeking asylum in the United States.