Defending products liability claims has been a cornerstone of Greene Espel’s practice since our founding in 1993. Manufacturers and other businesses turn to us when they face product defect allegations brought by individuals, by large groups of plaintiffs, or as putative class actions.
We have handled personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, and economic loss claims involving:
- Fires and explosions involving gas valves, insulation, pollution control devices, alarm systems, smoke detectors, electronic devices, solvent cleaning systems, and mobile homes;
- Chemicals and petroleum products;
- Heavy construction and agricultural equipment;
- Telecommunications switching equipment;
- Consumer goods and appliances;
- Industrial and manufacturing equipment, such as electronic controls, limit switches, light curtains, and pressure transducers;
- Building materials;
- Commercial ovens;
- Food and agricultural products;
- Medical devices and pharmaceuticals;
- Hospital and surgical equipment;
- Prisons and detention facilities;
- Underground water and sewage pipelines; and
- Premises liability
We have defended innumerable products cases in Minnesota, but are also regularly asked to defend such cases around the country. Our lawyers have handled and/or tried products claims in at several states including: Alaska, Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah. We maintain relationships with local counsel around the country, and follow developments in product liability law nationwide, so that we are ready to assist immediately wherever we are needed.
Major national manufacturers have asked us to serve as national counsel defending large numbers of similar claims around the country. Examples:
- Blood Therapy Litigation — We represented a Fortune 250 company as one of four national counsel defending hundreds of claims alleging viral transmission by a medically crucial blood therapy. These claims involved individual state court cases, individual federal cases consolidated for pretrial purposes, and class actions. When similar claims surfaced abroad, we assisted and advised lawyers in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and the UK to ensure consistent defense themes.
- Foodborne Illness Claims and Litigation — We have represented a client with a household name to defend against claims of foodborne illness across the country, employing litigation strategies designed to protect its reputation and brand.
- Medical Products Liability Class Action — As part of a national defense team, we were responsible for identifying and developing experts from diverse medical and scientific specialties. We made complex medical and scientific testimony understandable and persuasive, while debunking adverse expert opinions. Our client’s in-house litigation coordinator referred to us as “the surgeon generals” of the national defense team.
- Larry D. Espel
- Jenny Gassman-Pines
- Robert J. Gilbertson
- Clifford M. Greene
- Kathryn N. Hibbard
- Mark L. Johnson
- Bethany D. Krueger
- Faris A. Rashid
- Anna M. Tobin
- David J. Wallace-Jackson
- X. Kevin Zhao