Institutional investors and public companies alike have turned to Greene Espel in high-stakes securities litigation: fraud cases, multi-million-dollar battles over the terms of securities, class actions, shareholder disputes, RMBS, and more.
We bring deep industry knowledge and experience in complex commercial matters to bear on cases in state and federal courts across the country, as well as securities arbitrations. We work collaboratively with our clients, arriving at alternative fee arrangements where appropriate in our client’s interest.
Our lawyers have handled a wide range of securities disputes. For example:
- Defense of over fifty separate class action lawsuits, which included securities law violations and other claims.
- Representation of securities class action and derivative action plaintiffs.
- Representation of closely held corporations and minority shareholders in shareholder-oppression lawsuits and special litigation committee proceedings.
- Enforcement of terms in fixed income securities triggered by mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate actions.
- Defense of fraudulent transfer claims arising from buyouts of securities holders.
- RMBS cases, such as proceedings seeking to have trustees enforce RMBS trusts’ claims, objections to RMBS putback action settlements, disputes over the distribution of settlement funds, and disputes between certificate holders and servicers.
- Cases against professionals allegedly involved in securities fraud.
- Representation of a liquidation trustee as a minority shareholder, in a dispute over allocation of acquisition proceeds.
- Defense of municipal bond issuers against securities fraud claims.
Our business litigation practice embraces the wide variety of commercial disputes facing private and public companies today. Areas of particular expertise include intellectual property, antitrust, securities, employment, professional liability, and construction disputes.
Greene Espel Recognized in 2024 "Best Law Firms" Among Nation's Top Firms
The firm has been ranked in the first tier in Minneapolis – the highest ranking available in each city – in nine practice areas.
Chambers USA 2023 Recognizes Greene Espel for Litigation in Minnesota; Jeanette Bazis, Sybil Dunlop, and Kate Swenson Named Notable Practitioners
This year’s recognition highlights the firm’s “widely respected litigation group able to provide expertise across a range of commercial disputes, including both class actions and single-plaintiff claims.”
Client Win: Judge Rules in Favor of Certificateholder in RMBS Case
On May 21, 2020, the Ramsey County District Court ordered U.S. Bank, as trustee of a residential mortgage-backed securities trust, to use trust assets to pursue litigation against Goldman Sachs entities concerning thousands of mortgages in the trust that defaulted.
Successful securities litigation takes esoteric product knowledge, tenacity, acumen, and an aggressive mindset. Greene Espel brings those qualities to every case, in a team effort with every client.